Saturday 10 January 2009

Pursuit of Comfortable Life

Once upon a time, I was a happy school going kid. As I grew, there came responsibilities, boundaries erupted to my freedom, goals and milestones were laid. I had what I call is a “list of things to be achieved”. All that I remember doing since I gained the knowledge of happening is my “pursuit of comfortable livelihood”… well, that is what I term it anyway.

I very lately realised that I was not the founder of my “list of things to be achieved”. No matter who the founder of the list was, I was taught that the bottom line of the list was to achieve comfortable living - posh life, good food, a decent house, a luxury car, so on and so forth.

Nevertheless, as time passed away, whenever I met each of these goals, I started to “feel” the success. At one point, I started to add goals to my list by myself.  At the end of the day, these goals helped me drive into comfortable living. The more goals I met, the more successful I was and hence more comfortable was my life.

I would not be entirely wrong if I say most of us are travelling in the same boat.

Very recently I started to re-think about this whole mystery idea of “Comfortable Living”.... I know that’s a bit too late. But, late is better than never!

Is it not right if I define “Comfortable” as a feeling that is more related to the state of mind? Someone might say “I feel more comfortable when I am with my Dad than when I am with my Mom?” which defines the persons mental feeling but not the physical feeling. If my definition for “Comfortable” is right, then whatever I have been doing to earn comfortable life is wrong.

I think it depends on the mind set of each individual as to what goes in their “List of things to be achieved” towards the pursuit of comfortable life. The bottom line of that list might not necessarily be - posh life, good food, a decent house, a luxury car, so on and so forth.

 Personally, I can still feel comfortable and be the happiest when I am with my loved one in a hut. I might not feel very comfortable when I am in a mansion with someone whom I don’t know or whom I don’t like.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment